Beetroot and Bean Burgers with Sweet Potato Wedges
Burgers don’t need to be fatty and meaty – these beetroot and bean burgers are full of great protein, fibre and flavour, and make a delicious filling meal. They can also be made in advance and cooked later.
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil cold-pressed
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 2 beetroot peeled and grated
- 1 400g cannellini beans drained
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into wedges (no need to peel)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil cold-pressed
- 1 avocado, tomatoes, red onion rings and lettuce leaves to serve
- Preheat oven to 200℃, 180℃ fan, gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the grated beetroot and courgette and cook, stirring from time to time for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to the bowl.
- Place the beans and oats in a food processor and process until nearly smooth.
- Add the bean mixture to the beetroot, along with the egg and seasoning and mix well.
- Place the sweet potato wedges in a roasting tin. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Divide the beetroot mixture into four and shape into burgers on the baking paper. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve the burgers on lettuce, topped with slices of avocado, tomatoes and red onions with sweet potato wedges on the side.