January 1st – the day that sparks the ‘get fit’ new year resolutions. But how many people set up a realistic plan to achieve success.
By February, despite the best of intentions, many of us struggle to make good on our resolutions.
Most of us would plan a house move. We would logically go through the following steps to achieve the goal of buying a house:
- Getting your finances in order
- Find how much you can borrow
- Research mortgages
- Get a decision in principle
- Start the search
- Make an offer
- Offer accepted
- Apply for the mortgage
- Exchange of contracts
Therefore, we need to use the same principle to achieve a healthier and fitter 2022 goal.
MY BEST TIP TO HELP YOU STAY FIT AND HEALTHY FOR MONTHS TO COME
BREAK UP THE GOAL(S) INTO SMALLER GOALS
Simply putting down on paper that ‘you want to lose weight’ or ‘gain muscle’ are wishes but not goals. Remember that goals need to be SMART, just like planning the purchase of a house.
Firstly, sit down with a trainer and agree the big goal(s). Then break the goal down into smaller achievable short term goals. Always write down your goals and review your resolution regularly.
Example of a weekly goal to lose 4 inches around the waist in 12 weeks:
- Record your vital statistics (beginning of the week).
- Set aside time each day for one week of physical activity. Frequency of training is the first goal to overcome. Agree a number of sessions that can realistically be achieved during each week in January. (Remember that it must be achievable. This is key).
- Plan the type and duration of your workouts with your trainer for the week.
- Plan your meals for the week. Aim for low energy density foods. Normal-weight people consume diets with a lower energy density. People who have high levels of fruit and vegetable intakes have the lowest dietary energy density values and the lowest prevalence of obesity. This is not surprising, because fruits and vegetables generally have high water and fibre contents that provide bulk but less energy than most other food sources. And you feel satiated! (Remember. This must be achievable).
- Record your vital statistics (beginning of the following week).
These steps are the first rungs on the ladder to becoming fitter and sustaining a resolution for a healthier fitter you.
AND THEY ARE SMALL SPECIFIC MEASURABLE ATTAINABLE RELEVANT GOALS THAT ARE ACHIEVED WITHIN A TIME TO MOVE CLOSER TO THE BIG GOAL.
And remember, if you fall off track, get back on quick. Rome was not built in a day!