Nutty Mushrooms on Toast
The gut thrives on a variety of foods - each one provides different nutrients and different bacteria, so starting your day with these pimped-up mushrooms on toast is the perfect way to support your gut health.
- 1 frying pan
- 1 saucepan
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- freshly milled black pepper
- Melt the butter in the frying pan with the olive oil
- Add the mushrooms and fry for 5-6 minutes, tossing frequently, until lightly golden
- Meanwhile, poach the egg in a pan of boiling water
- Add the garlic and tomatoes to the mushrooms for the last minute of cooking, just to warm them through
- Spread the peanut butter over the sourdough toast
- Spoon the garlicky mushrooms and tomatoes over the nutty toast, top with the poached egg and sprinkle with the black pepper.
Tip: Piperine, the alkaloid component in black pepper has been shown to increase nutrient absorption, so a great spice to include in your meals.